With the rapid changes that take place in the marketing world, it’s easy to become bewildered by all of the options for promoting ourselves and our business. Almost every day, there’s some amazing new social media platform taking the world by storm and old forms of communication fade from significance.
However, from the day woman first drew on the cave wall, the basics of succeeding have not really changed. We all do business with those we know, like and trust. As individual business women, we have the opportunity to reach out and connect with peers, colleagues and potential clients to create profitable relationships that move us all toward our goals.
Whether you are successful women climbing the corporate ladder or an enthusiastic entrepreneur out to revolutionize your industry, here are five activities that will connect you with the people who need your knowledge, skill and expertise.
1) Grab the microphone: booking speaking engagements to showcase your expertise. From the local Rotary to TED talks to professional organizations, getting in front of an audience is the leading way to enlarge your circle of influence.
2) Blow your own horn: seek out awards and nominate yourself. Even if you don’t win the award, the nomination itself has benefits.
3) Connect with influencers: on and offline, identify and connect with other experts. LinkedIn is the ideal way to start researching and connecting with leaders and influencers in your industry. It’s also an excellent way to follow up and deepen connections with influencers you make a conferences and networking events.
4) Write a book: you will automatically be recognized as a thought leader. There’s really no better way to move your career forward.
5) Spread the word: submit Press Releases about your speaking, nominations, awards and your book.
Moving out on the stage will open doors for you in ways you never imagined. Every day I hear stories from successful women who are living lives beyond their wildest imagination because they took that first step out of their comfort zone.